Testimonial From Summer 2008

I was not quite sure what I had gotten myself into when I signed up as a part-time intern with the Institute; however, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of insight I obtained through the short eight weeks. Through my internship, I was able to learn more about the Grand Rapids community where I live, but more importantly I learned what I could do to help as a law school student and later on in my career as an attorney.

The community outreach visits showed me just how many people there are that need a helping hand, and I also learned of the individuals currently sacrificing to fill that need. I will never forget the Monday night I spent touring the local homeless camps and listening to the difficulties agencies run into when trying to help them, especially the mentally ill. My research topic allowed me to dissect the constitutional rights of privacy that surround a family and to realize that those rights are not as steadfast as everyone believes they are.

I think the biggest impact my summer internship at the Carter Alexander Institute of Law and Justice had on me was the lessons I learned. As an aspiring lawyer it is easy to be swept up by the lure of money and power, and I believe the Institute will help me remember in the future that with that power comes a great deal of responsibility to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves. Whether children, the homeless, or just someone down on his luck, I know now that it is my place to step in and try to help in any way I am able. No problem will be fixed by donating money alone; there has to be someone to use that money to implement the changes necessary to the system. After this summer, I know that person must be me.